Indian Civilization dates back to more than 5000 years. Known for its cultural heritage, India’s geography is very diverse with Himalaya’s mountain range in the north, the Thar Dessert of Rajasthan in the west, tropical rain forest in the east and the southern part is a peninsula. It also has 2 island groups as Lakshwadeep in the Arabian sea and Andaman Nicobar in the Bay of Bengal. This diversity in Geography has led to the diversity in the culture and lifestyle.
Tourism in India:
The tourism industry of India is economically important and is growing rapidly. Travel and tourism is the largest service industry in India. Some of the famous tourist sights and activities include,
- Taj Mahal: India's most famous attraction, the Taj Mahal, is a mausoleum in Agra that was constructed under Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his favorite wife
- Khajuraho: A town located in Madhya Pradesh famous for groups of Hindu and Jain temples. These temples are a UNESCO World Heritage Site for their beautiful and erotic rock carvings. About 20 temples remain today, dating back to the 10th and 11th century A.D.
- Kerala: This place is famous for its Backwaters, performing arts (dances, ballets, opera) music, martial arts, paintings, arts and crafts, The cultural heritage of Kerala is also revealed in its varied costumes and cuisine.
- Dharamsala/McLeod Ganj: It is known as "Little Lhasa" or "Dhasa" (a short form of Dharamsala used mainly by Tibetans) because of its large population of Tibetan refugees.
- The Sundarbans mangrove forest, the Sundarbans is shared with Bangladesh and form a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Rajasthan: It has cities rich in its heritage such as Jaisalmer, Udaipur, Jaipur and Jodhpur and the Thar desert spread over miles.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands - India's version of a tropical getaway with indigenous tribes, beaches and jungle.
- Ladakh is the place to be for hiking in the Himalaya Mountains and is the best place to see Budhist monasteries.
- Goa is a hippy paradise with beaches, great for relaxing.
- Sun Temple is an UNESCO World Heritage Site in Konark, in Orissa, on the Bay of Bengal.
- Sikkim and Darjeeling: Enjoy the ride with the toytrain up in the mountains of Darjeeling and Sikkim.
- Hampi Temples in central southern India (Karnataka).